Did You Know?

Tomlinson Run State Park offers nearly 1400 acres, 54 camp sites, miniature golf, boat rentals, fishing, swimming pool with water slide and picnic areas.

WV Association of Counties E-Gov: Community Connect Foundation

Frequently Asked Questions

Office of Emergency Management

As a citizen, can I volunteer?
Yes, you can. There is a Citizen Corp that you can join and get trained. The contact is Mr. John Good of Weirton, WV. Call us for more information.

Can I volunteer to staff a position in the Emergency Operations Center (EOC)?
Yes. You can contact the Director of Emergency Management. You must have a background check and complete the National Incident Management System (NIMS) 100, 200 and 700 training courses.


Office of the Circuit Clerk

Can I go to court without a lawyer?
Yes. The Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia states that you have the right to represent yourself in state courts. In fact, many people in West Virginia go to court without a lawyer. Some people cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Others decide that they would rather handle their legal problems on their own.

Should I go to court without a lawyer?
That is your decision to make. Some cases are fairly simple and can be handled without an attorney. Others involve complicated procedures and legal issues that require the experience and training of a lawyer. You should at least talk to a lawyer about your case. Whether you decide to hire a lawyer or go to court on your own, it helps to know how the court system works.

How do I file my lawsuit? Is there a form I can use?
A lawsuit begins with the filing of a written complaint in the court clerk's office. The Office of the Circuit Court Clerk may have some forms for the circuit court and has many forms for family court cases. You can go to the clerk's office, tell them what your case is about and they will give you the forms to fill out for your type of case. There is a small fee for the forms.

Do I have to pay to file a lawsuit?
Yes. The court will charge a fee to file your case. In family court cases there is a charge for the forms, but you may not have to pay those fees if you meet low-income guidelines. This is called a fee waiver. If you think you might qualify, ask the clerk to give you the Fee Waiver Forms to see if you are eligible to have the fees waived. This form and many other forms are available on the Supreme Court's web site at http://state.wv.us/wvsca, or ask at your circuit court clerk's office.

How do I make sure I've done everything right?
Take it one step at a time and don't be afraid to ask for help. The courthouse staff cannot give you legal advice about your specific case, but they will answer your questions about how the court system works. If you decide that there is too much at stake or your case is too difficult to handle on your own, you can always contact and hire a lawyer.

Learn more about what we can do to help by downloading the "Are You Being Served?" PDF file. To view the PDF file, you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader.


If I have trouble reading, is there someone who can help me with the forms?
Yes. You can ask someone in the clerk's office to help you or contact your local library. The West Virginia Literacy Program also provides volunteer readers. You can contact them at 1-800-642-9021.

These questions and many more may be found on the Supreme Court's Online Self-Help Center. It also includes downloadable court forms and links to various courts in West Virginia.

Attorney General's Office Consumer Hotline - 1-800-368-8808
Call for advice on consumer rip-off cases

Senior Legal Aid Services - 1-800-229-5068 or 1-304-296-2746
Provides free legal assistance to seniors aged 60 and older.

Legal Aid of West Virginia - 1-800-642-8279
Provides legal services in certain kinds of cases if your income meets certain income guidelines.

The internet has many good sources of information, but be careful. Laws and procedures vary from state to state. Not all the information you find on the web will apply in West Virginia.

Privacy, Security and Accessibility | WV.gov | USA.gov | © 2019 State of West Virginia